Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Activity #5 - Music Class with Stuffed Animals!

Sorry all, the week got away from me (I know you were all missing new posts dreadfully)! My parents are visiting and Q and I were taking them all over.  For those of you keeping track, Q also now likes pretending to be the "Three Men in a Tub" courtesy of a box that came in the mail with birthday presents that Q hasn't received yet.  As everyone knows, children love boxes and this one goes back and forth between serving as a boat or car.

Activity #5 - Music Class with Stuffed Animals!  Q was spotted reading to one of the babies in her class at school last week (she would even stop and turn the book to the baby and point at the pictures), so I decided that we should try and "teach" her toys the hand motions to some songs that, you know, involve hand motions. First, Q and I picked some toys with flexible arms.  In this case, Aunt C's old cabbage patch doll, an elmo, and a bunch of not so flexible toys to act as audience.  Q and I would "demonstrate" to the toys the motions for the songs and then I would pick one of the toys and Q and I would sing again, but this time I would move the toys arms. Sometimes I would make very silly mistakes and ask Q if the toy was doing it correctly. Sometimes she said, "I do," which means yes and I would say, "really?"  Usually, with this prompting, she would say, "no," but sometimes she would answer correctly the first time I asked and laugh and say, "no!"  Then, we would re-show the toy the correct movements. The toy would try again and get the movements right and Q and I would tell the toy "good job!" As you can guess, there was a LOT of prompting on my part. The songs chosen were: "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star," "Wheels on the Bus," and "If You're Happy and You Know It." We finished with a round of "Ring Around the Rosie" performed by me and Q to thunderous applause by the toys. Lots of "whoas" - they were so impressed.  What can I say? We're just that good.

I have pictures of us doing this activity, but, of course, haven't uploaded yet. Will try to get them up some time today or tomorrow.

To hold you over, here are some pictures from a less-than-sanctioned activity.  Namely, Q took my camera.



(It is the clarity of the carpet that gets me in this one. Pure genius.) 

(Sun flare? Or my yellow fuzzy sock at just the right angle/distance/exposure.)

No comments:

Post a Comment