Sunday, December 16, 2012

I am not a great writer

I don't have any answers or profound thoughts to help us through this, to make it better.  I had a post scheduled about exercises Z and I do together, but it seems so wrong to post it.

I hope we, as a nation, can come together and address our culture of violence, our marginalization of those that need our help, and works towards a future where what happened on Friday never happens again.

Here are two posts I found helpful:

Helping the Grieving Parents
Thinking the Unthinkable

I am a historian and it kills me that the killer's name will be more widely known than his victims. I don't want them to be a number. They say that the sum is greater than the parts, but, in this situation, they are wrong.  These women and children are so much more than how or when they died and I want us to remember them, to never forget their humanity, nor let them be regarded as faceless victims. At the very least, we can remember their names.

Charlotte Bacon, 6.
Daniel Barden, 7.
Olivia Engel, 6.
Josephine Gay, 7.
Ana M. Marquez-Greene, 6.
Dylan Hockley, 6.
Madeleine F. Hsu, 6.
Catherine V. Hubbard, 6.

Chase Kowalski, 7.
Jesse Lewis, 6.
James Mattioli, 6.
Grace McDonnell, 7.
Emilie Parker, 6.
Jack Pinto, 6.
Noah Pozner, 6.
Caroline Previdi, 6.
Jessica Rekos, 6.
Aveille Richman, 6.
Benjamin Wheeler, 6.
Allison N. Wyatt, 6.
Rachel Davino, 29.
Dawn Hochsprung, 47.
Anne Marie Murphy, 52.
Lauren Russeau, 30,
Mary Sherlach, 56.
Victoria Soto, 27.

No comments:

Post a Comment